Welcome, class of 2020!

When I started playing lacrosse, the first major decision I had to make was what stick I was going to buy. Without having any experience or playing time whatsoever, I had to determine if I was going to be playing lacrosse for all four years of high school or if it was just a phase that would shortly be gone from my teenage life. Obviously, I wanted the cool expensive stick, which gave me a reason to stick with the sport.

Three years later, the second major decision I had to make was where I was going to college. When I bought that first stick, I had no idea that it would help bring me the opportunity to continue my lacrosse career at my dream college. Yet, when I took my first step onto Albion’s campus I felt like I found the perfect wedding dress; you know, the “feeling”, the moment where you know it’s the dress (or school) for you. Super cheesy I know, but that’s what it was like: a place I could call home and still play the sport I love.

Today, I had to make another one of those tough decisions: deciding what to write this blog entry about. There are exactly 2 days until I move into the dorms with a fellow lacrosse player and I couldn’t be more excited. I had the opportunity to spend a few days with some of the lacrosse team and we had many odd bonding moments, such as crawling like animals through Baldwin and being lifted into the air after having lipstick smeared across my forehead (while re-enacting The Lion King for a camp talent show). However, nerves have also set in. Although I have learned some cheers, drills and warm-ups from a camp I worked this summer, I’m still not sure what to expect. I know it will be very challenging, a lot more conditioning than I’m used to, and harder practices.

That said, all of these challenges are worth it. I will be learning more about lacrosse and gaining a family that already seems to be one of the coolest groups that I have had the chance to be involved in. So in conclusion, my name is Marah Ranger and I couldn’t be more excited to be joining the Albion Class of 2020 and the women’s lacrosse team.

• Marah Ranger (Freshman, Kalamazoo, MI)
Marah at home in MI

Marah at home in MI