2018 ACWL Spring Banquet — 3 Players, 3 Perspectives

Spring Trip, Newport Beach, CA, 2018

During this year’s banquet, we had a number of student-athlete speakers. Here are three unique perspectives from this year’s team — all different classes, different experiences. Enjoy and GO BRITS!

Hello everyone! My name is Kierstin Rose and I was a freshman during this amazing 2017-2018 lacrosse season. I wanted to give all of you insight on some of the biggest lessons I learned this year.

First things first, I learned that I could actually use my left hand which which was a huge development for me. But the biggest and most important lesson I learned is that this team is a family. Coming to Albion was a completely new experience, I was on my own for the first time and had no idea what to do next. Luckily, the captains had already planned a team dinner in the Keller.

Now I know at the beginning I was nowhere near being the most talkative person, let’s be real it took me weeks to tell you guys I prefer to be called Krose, but times like those are the ones I am most thankful for. The times where we were together and the people around us knew the women’s lacrosse team was near, like at the Hall of Fame dinner…the trips, bus rides, and movies that I had never seen before but now have strong opinions about…added greatly to my understanding of what it means to be a part of a team that genuinely cares about one another. Being with this team has made me realize that this season was so much more than I expected it to be. I drastically underestimated how much I would learn and from whom. I can honestly tell you that I have learned something from every single person on this team including Eddie and Jenna.

This entire college experience has changed the person I am and will continue to change me throughout my years here at Albion with the help of this team. For instance — speaking in our team meetings has showed me that my voice has value, which has made me better in classroom discussions because I’m no longer hesitant to speak. Being pushed in practice has showed me that I am more mentally tough than I give myself credit for; if we can run those 100s, honestly, there’s nothing that can stop us. And above all else, if I ever feel like I am alone or have something I’m going through there will always be open ears waiting for me. I cannot put into words how appreciative I am for each and everyone of you.

In the years to come, I strive to develop some of the leadership qualities that our new alumni possess. Thank you former seniors for constantly being an amazing embodiment of what it means to be a Brit. Thank you coaches for being fantastic teachers and like my second moms. Thank you coach Mehl for making me stronger. Thank you Lee family for everything you’ve done for this team. Thank you Eddie for keeping me healthy. Thank you parents for all that you do and for giving me my amazing teammates.

I could not have asked for a better first year experience. Thank you.

#9 Kierstin Rose, Freshman Attack, Indianapolis, IN

Brits.

We were born in January. This new ACWL, this new team with all of these new people. We were cold, saw snow for the first time, and woke up early to start working towards something we couldn’t quite see yet.

We learned to ride a bike with training wheels in February. We had our first two games (NMU and Hanover) where we put some of our new tools to use. But, we had a lot of growing up to do.

We experienced the confusing times of “puberty” in March. We went to California, practiced with the mountains on the horizon and our team changed. It wasn’t the silent-cage-fighting, it wasn’t Drop the Mic, it wasn’t the beach or the much needed sunshine, it wasn’t watching whales, it wasn’t the new pregame songs, it wasn’t In-and Out (although that changed my life). It was that game. Redlands. According to the scoreboard, yes, we lost. But we gained so much more. We realized this in the locker room and nothing has ever felt so good yet looked so bad (aka we are ALL ugly criers). Coming back to Michigan we faced another mountain. We had to be honest with our coaches, teammates and with ourselves. We faced the truth together. We realized this opportunity was a gift not a right. We became grateful. Grateful for this program, our history, our seniors, and our teammates.

We took off our training wheels and rode our 45-person bike in April.

In May, that life has passed but we live on. Some of us graduated, moving on to the next chapter. And the rest of us sit eagerly for our next life together.

There were a lot of uncontrollables this season. Injuries, the weather at Adrian, the weather at Olivet, and I could go on, especially about the weather. But we learned these are called uncontrollables for a reason and, of course, that it was always “70 and sunny” for a Brit. I learned as long as your team has your back and you have theirs, no matter what happens, no matter how long your jersey sits on the hanger, no matter how little time you have, no matter what you have to sacrifice, no matter what you go through — you will always have ACWL.

This season was so special for me because this team is so special to me. So, thank you.

#11 Marah Ranger, Sophomore Attack, Kalamazoo, MI

As I packed my bag last weekend, I couldn’t help but feel a little distraught thinking about how I felt our team should have been practicing for the next championship instead of packing up our locker room.

My sister shouted from the bathroom a quote on wall that reads “Your biggest competition is yourself.” She said this in a super goofy voice, in an attempt to make me laugh. I flashed back to my freshman year remembering the first time I read that and smiled being my pumped lil freshman self, excited to be on the Albion women’s lax team.

As I packed my bag, I reminisced on my four years at Albion. I said to my sister — isn’t that crazy I’ve been here in this locker room for four years? It’s seen me at my best and my worst times. It’s seen me as a young sassy freshman who probably annoyed the hell out of coach for never listening and not playing up to my full potential.

It’s seen me as an even sassier sophomore who was abruptly changed from attack to defense one day because coach had had enough. It has seen me as a young leader who needed to step into a position I felt I wasn’t yet fit for. And it’s seen me as a sassy yet mature senior who has become so incredibly grateful for this amazing opportunity.

As I packed my bag, I not only packed the practice clothes, 20 hair ties I borrowed from people for the dragon braid, and cleats, of course. I also packed the intangible things, like invaluable leadership skills, work ethic, strategic thinking and an improved sense of character, all thanks to my coaches and to my teammates.

Coach Shanta and Coach Em, you both are such incredible role models to me as you recognize potential, set the standards high and won’t hold us to anything less.

To my teammates, one of our goals was to become a team of leaders and I feel confident standing here saying that there is a room full of leaders in front of me. I am confident in saying we are not the same team we were this January. We have worked hard to develop into strong, considerate leaders — that has been reflected on and off the field. We couldn’t have done that without executing our roles to the fullest and beyond, and for holding each other accountable to do so.

As we pack our bags some will move on to the next chapter of their lives and get jobs and miss the “ole albion days”, while others pack their bags to enjoy the summer and look forward to their next or last year at Albion.

Regardless of what comes next, I am so thankful this amazing group of young women was able to share the experience of this season and Albion women’s lacrosse will always hold a special place in all of our hearts.

As we pack and unpack our bags for whatever we are up to next, something that we will always take with us are the memories made, the laughs we shared, the tears we cried, our unforgettable coaches, and these bonds that will never be broken.

A huge thank you for all those who make this possible…coaches, teammates, Melissa, Leah, Coach Mehl, Bobby…

#10 Lauren Wiegand, Senior Midfield, Brighton, MI

MIAA Tournament, 2018