Government Documents


About the Albion College Government Documents Collection

Albion College receives most congressional, presidential and geological survey and census publications, as well as a wide range of publications from other government agencies. Our library became a depository in 1966.



The Government Printing Office’s (GPO) Federal Digital System (FDsys) is an advanced digital system that will enable GPO to manage government information from all three branches of the U.S. Government. FDsys became available as a public beta during migration of information from GPO Access. The migration of information from GPO Access into FDsys was completed in 2010; GPO Access will shortly be archive only.

Back to Top

GPO Access

GPO Access will be archive-only later this year. FDsys is GPO’s official system of record.

Back to Top

Census Information

Back to Top

Federal Information Sites

Back to Top

Comprehensive Government Sites

Back to Top

Michigan and Local Information

Back to Top

Judicial Resources

Back to Top

United Nations and Other International Documents

  • NATO
  • United Nations
  • ODS: Official Documents of the United Nations. Full-text. “ODS covers all types of official United Nations documentation, beginning in 1993. Older UN documents are, however, added to the system on a daily basis. ODS also provides access to the resolutions of the General Assembly, Security Council, Economic and Social council and the Trusteeship Council from 1946 onwards. The system does not contain press releases, UN sales publications, the United Nations Treaty Series or information brochures issued by the Department of Public Information.”
  • Organization of American States
  • Portals to the World: from the Library of Congress, in-depth information about all nations including country studies, maps, and extensive full-text resources

Back to Top

Political Information

Back to Top

Tax Information Sources

Back to Top

Government Documents FAQ

Scope of the Albion College Collection:

Albion College became a selective depository library for U.S. Federal documents in 1966, and presently receives 17 percent of the available material. We receive most congressional, presidential and geological survey and census publications, as well as a wide range of publications from other agencies.

Where are the Government Documents Located?

Most documents are kept together as a special collection. Documents published in paper are shelved on Stockwell Tier 3. Documents on microfiche (MF) are stored behind the Periodicals Desk in Stockwell. Most government CDs are shelved next to the Government Documents CD-ROM workstation on the main floor of Stockwell Library.

The Library Archives and Special Collections Page includes a section about government publications. Click on quotGovernment Documentquot for access to web sites from the legislative, executive, and judicial branches of government.

A few documents, such as Statutes at Large, have been incorporated into the general book collection and some government periodicals are part of the periodicals collection. These can be located through the On-line Catalog. GPO Access provides indexing and links to many full text Federal publications.

Government Documents Computer Workstation:

Depository patrons are given priority access to the workstation and printer which are located on the main floor of Stockwell Library. GPO Access, indexes to Federal publications, and all other library resources are available to all patrons from this computer. The depository CD-ROM collection, which can be accessed through the workstation, is shelved in the same area. The workstation provides unrestricted access to Federal resources.

Who can use the Government Documents Collection?

Documents remain federal property and may be used by all members of the general public as well as by persons affiliated with the College. As a depository library, Albion College has a particular responsibility to provide unrestricted access to information for residents of the Michigan Third Congressional District.

How do I Locate Government Documents on my Topic?

The Library Online Catalog lists Federal documents received by the Albion College Library since 1991. This is the best way to locate Federal publications in our collection. Records for electronic documents are also included in the Online Catalog. GPO Access provides indexing and links to many full text publications. The GPO Monthly Catalog includes all federal publications made publicly available since July 1976. Publications not in our collection can be ordered through InterLibrary Loan.

The Monthly Catalog of United States Government Publications indexes federal publications made publicly available before 1976. The set is located in the Stockwell Documents Reference area. Again, publications not available in our collection can be ordered through InterLibrary Loan.

How do I Get Help?

Documents reference services are provided by the Technical Services librarian, extension 0386, or at The government documents assistant or a reference librarian from the Mudd building can also assist you.

Can Government Documents be Checked Out?

Most documents circulate to patrons who present a valid Albion College ID. Non-campus borrowers may consult documents in the library or apply for a Community Borrower’s Card if they wish to check out materials. A special Federal Documents Depository Borrower’s Card is available for patrons who live outside the Albion community.

Is it Possible to Get a Document That is Not in the Albion College Collection?

Yes, anyone affiliated with the College can fill out an InterLibrary Loan book request form and turn it in at the Circulation Desk in the Mudd building. See Get Books from Other Libraries for further information. Others should contact the public library in their community, or the Albion College Technical Services librarian.

Back to Top