Setting up a new blog or moving your site from www.albion.edu or another site is easy, but it is important to have a plan in place before you start.
The basic steps for creating and/or moving your site are below, followed by links to more detailed tutorials with video demonstrations.
Here are the basic steps for creating or moving your site:
- If you already have a blog and/or log in on on http://campus.albion.edu, log in at the home page, otherwise, you can just skip this step.
- On the Campus home page, click the “Sign Up Now” link and follow the on screen instructions. New users will be asked to create and confirm an new log in account.
IMPORTANT: CPO Site Managers, do NOT create a user name that is affiliated with your campus organization site. Use your Albion College user ID. When it’s time to pass your duties on to the next user, CPO staff will take care of the change.
- If you are not moving content from another site, you are ready to go! See the tutorials below for detailed how-to tutorials to get you up and running quickly.
If you are moving content from another site, it’s a pretty easy process:
- Move content from your www.albion.edu or other site by copying from your web browser and pasting AS TEXT into WordPress posts and pages (see tutorials at the end of this post for more information).
- NOTE: Images and files must be downloaded from the old site and uploaded to the new one. To download, right-click and select “Save Image As/Save As right in the browser window. Once the file has saved, use the upload buttons in WordPress to move them to the new site (see tutorial below).
- If you are setting up a CPO site, once your new site is ready, email the CPO office and request that links on WWW be updated to the new campus.albion.edu site.
- Creating a Blog
- Configure The AdminBar for maximum productivity
- Changing the Tag Line (just another campus.albion.edu weblog) and site Title
- Themes – Managing your site’s appearance
- Managing content – understanding Pages and Posts (IMPORTANT!)
- Using the Editor Toolbar – Restore missing buttons!
- Creating Pages from existing content
- Creating Posts & Categories from existing content
- Moving images and files from the old site
- Setting a WordPress page to display as the home page (optional)
- Widgets – Managing site navigation
- Managing Site Editor Permissions