Student Spotlight: John Fleming, ’14

John Fleming, ’14, is a political science and communication studies double major involved in just about everything on campus here at Albion.

Fall 2012 semester was no piece of political cake for John Fleming. From June 1st to November 12th, he was running State Representative Patrick Somerville’s campaign. Living back on the island of Grosse Ile, he ran a staff of more than 10 people, fundraising, attending events, and completing other necessary campaign-related tasks. At the start of the campaign, he was sleeping four hours a night and by campaign’s end, that number was down to 1-2 hours per night. After Representative Somerville won and was sworn in to office, John looked forward to returning to campus, getting eight hours of sleep a night, resting, and enjoying a social life. In all reality, John doesn’t handle not being busy well and he delved back into his more-than-busy Albion College life this semester. I was lucky enough to catch him while he was working at the Kellogg Center front desk to talk about what life is like as an Albion student on and off campus. This is what he said:

Why did you pick Albion?

I picked Albion because I wanted a small, liberal arts experience and a school that valued personal contact/interaction with its student.

What do you want to do when you graduate?

I want to go on to get my Masters in Public Policy from the Ford School at the University of Michigan and then return to my home state house district (District 23) and run for office in 2016.

What are you involved in?

I am involved in (and treasurer of) all three
theatre organizations on campus (Albion
College Players, Dead Pinocchio Theatre, Theta Alpha Phi), I served as President of the Beta Iota chapter of Phi Mu Alpha (PMA) Sinfonia this past year, and will be serving as Collegiate Province Representative (the highest position in the Fraternity in the State of Michigan) for the 2013-2014 school year. I am actively involved in Michigan Republican Party politics, through my experience as campaign manager last fall and my work in the legislature the last three years. (When John isn’t plugging away at his TI-84, he’s also working over 40 hours a week, both on campus and at Best Buy in Jackson, MI. He also serves as a mentor to Gerald R. Ford Institute freshman students and his two PMA “littles.”  The Gerald R. Ford Institute for Leadership in Public Policy and Service is one of John’s greatest passions at Albion College, where he serves on the Ford Council, is a Ford Institute office worker, and helps plan the Sleight Leadership Fellows program. He attended the Sleight program in 2012 as a participant, again in 2013 as a mentor, and is already helping to plan the 2014 program.)

What are you up to this summer? 

Since managing a winning campaign last fall, I have had three full-time job offers and four internship offers, all in Lansing, MI or Washington, D.C. I plan to spend my summer in D.C. as an intern on the Hill as I prepare for graduate school applications in the fall.

What do you think prospective students need to know about Albion?

At Albion, you will receive personal attention from faculty and staff that will allow you to do and accomplish things over your four years here that you would not be able to at other schools.  While Albion may be expensive on paper, the opportunities and experiences it will afford you simply cannot be beat by any other school.  If you are looking for a personalized, liberal arts collegiate experience, look no further than Albion.

Photos:
1: John Fleming at a Phi Mu Alpha event
2: Zach Kribs, John Fleming, and Peter Verhaeghe (John’s PMA littles)

This entry was posted in Dannie Fountain and tagged , , , , , by Dannie Fountain-Jagodzinski. Bookmark the permalink.

About Dannie Fountain-Jagodzinski

Between working at H&R Block, going to class, spending time with friends, and working on campus, I am one of the busiest Albion College students I know. However, writing for Golden Opportunities is one of my favorite parts about being at Albion. I am also involved in Omicron Delta Kappa, the Senior Class Gift Committee, Albion College Student Senate, Intervarsity, WLBN, and the Albion College Conservatives here on campus. I'm a senior this year, graduating class of 2014. I’m a Media and Marketing Management major with concentrations in Gerstacker and Honors. I’m from Lexington, Michigan, have 9 brothers and sisters, and I love every minute of my life here at Albion.