Recent success for WLBN Albion College Radio

I write this note today to inform you of a recent success for WLBN, Albion College Radio. This past Friday, I spoke at the Broadcasting Career Builder Conference (BCBC) hosted in Lansing by the Michigan Association of Broadcasters (MAB). Here I met with Pete Bowers and Randy Carr (a speaker at the conference with whom I worked at WBFH-FM). Bowers and Carr have already been very generous to our program, donating thousands of dollars’ worth of broadcast equipment to the station in October 2012. I also made several important contacts, which I submit will allow our station to flourish. The first contact was Mark Libke of the Spartan Sports Network. Mr. Libke was very impressed that a handful of students could pool their talent to restart a “dark” station with little existing equipment and a small budget. Mr. Libke requested I keep him informed as to what our student broadcasters are doing and how our station is improving over the coming weeks and months (we have made much progress in just three months). Mr. Libke also asked me if there was any equipment WLBN may need in the future and he has committed to donating their old equipment to our program. Other contacts included representatives from the MAB as well as the Public Broadcasting Service (PBS). These connections will be helpful for a wide variety of needs such as legal advice, technical advice, grant writing, and perhaps help with our programming.

In addition to the annual Broadcasting Career Builder Conference, the Michigan Association of Broadcasters holds an award ceremony in Lansing to recognize the achievements of educational broadcasters. While I believe competition is not the reason people become interested in radio, I look forward to the day we can send our talented broadcasters to this ceremony to receive a state award, perhaps someday a Station of the Year award. This is a goal not easily accomplished; it takes hard work, dedication, and a love for radio broadcasting. I have been very impressed thus far by the level of dedication and passion of our student broadcasters.

This semester, we have become a legal station (by paying music licensing and webcasting fees), the studio was renovated with newer and better equipment, and I have sparked interest in close to 40 Albion students (who signed up at Briton Bash). We have ten air personalities (and the program is still growing), we have a renovated website and we now have 24/7/365 programming. Next semester, I hope to expand the program even farther. We look forward to purchasing and installing other broadcast electronics and we hope to have a professional sounding airstaff who submits award entries to the MAB for judging, we will promote the station in ways we never have previously. Andy Boyan (WLBN Advisor) and I will begin hosting workshops for our broadcasters to improve their on-air presence and technical wherewithal.

I am excited to see what will become of WLBN. I know the future for the program is nothing but promising and I would like to keep you informed as to how we are doing as a staff. Please keep an eye on our website (http://campus.albion.edu/wlbn/) and enjoy the occasional email regarding our progress (subscribe here). Feel free to forward this link to your classmates, co-workers, professors, family and friends, and anyone else that may find this of interest.

13 Responses to “Recent success for WLBN Albion College Radio”

1. Generally I do not read article on blogs, but I would like to say that this write-up very forced me to try and do so! Your writing style has been amazed me. Thanks, very nice post.

2. good says:

This is a good posting. I am about to spend more time looking into this issue.

3. Supplements says:

Thanks for the article post.Really looking forward to read more. Fantastic.

4. I like looking at your writing, WLBN. » Recent success for WLBN Albion College Radio has been added to my favorites in firefox.

5. Whoa this blog is wonderful and I love reading your articles. Keep up the good work! You know, a lot of people are looking around for this information, you could help them greatly.

6. Hello, Neat post. There is a problem together with your site in web explorer, might check this… IE nonetheless is the market leader and a good part of people will omit your fantastic writing because of this problem.

7. madamlux says:

WLBN. » Recent success for WLBN Albion College Radio has been put into my own favorites. I can not wait to read more about this topic.

8. Exciting information, thank you for sharing them in WLBN. » Recent success for WLBN Albion College Radio.

9. I will instantly grab your rss feed to stay privy of any updates. Solid work and much success in your business enterprize!

10. Hi, this is a nice posting. You get my vote for this and also I’ll bookmark this website right now.

11. Hi there, Thank you for this amazing post! I have to save this website. Cheers.

12. h arjun says:

Good topic, I agree.

13. Jesse says:

Can I post your post to my wordpress blog? I’ll add a one-way link to your forum. That’s one actually nice post.

Leave a Response