July 6, 2012: As I contemplate my next trip down under and sit through 100+ degree weather here in the Midwest, I am reminded of the few days I spent in Australia’s Red Centre – blazing HOT(!) but at least there was no humidity. It’s been brutal here, with roads buckling, power outages from storms that bring no relief from the heat and humidity, and heat-related deaths. I guess we need something to fear since our snakes are mostly non-poisonous.
I sent this Top 10 list to Meredith awhile back and thought today might be a good day to share it with you. These are the things I’ve learned and missed since returning from Oz.
* Buy earring backs that don’t pop off. For those of you who remember, I lost one of my diamond earrings somewhere between Tasmania and Donna’s house. I have since replaced it and purchased special earrings backs that don’t slide off.
* I wish I had a cleaning lady! And a better vacuum. I recently purchased a Hoover Windtunnel vacuum (it’s multi-cyclonic!) at Menards… LOVE it. So much cat hair has been removed from carpet! So. Much! Now, who can recommend a good cleaning lady?
* Drinking chai latte at home isn’t nearly as fun as drinking one while wandering around a market, eating too much cheese, snag samples, and cherries.
* Even at $17/ticket (in Aussie money), Aussie movies are more fun than American movies. Well, that holds for “Red Dog“, anyway, the only movie I saw while in Australia. I just watched a bad bad bad movie with Reese Witherspoon, Paul Rudd, Owen Wilson, and Jack Nicholson (“How Do You Know“) – you think it would be good but it wasn’t – and I will never get that time back.
* Research moves slowly in Australia and instruments flake out, whether I’m there or not. I’m glad to know it’s not just me!
* I miss Aussie accents and walking on the left.
* When you can’t buy TimTams at a store, you don’t eat them as often.
* No one makes a cinnamon hot chocolate as good as Koko Black.
* That tangy bite of beetroot really does add a tasty something to burgers and salads. I’ll have to make a point to get some soon – like next week. I’ll make my own verstion and call it the Holt Lotta Burger.